New Model E-Bike Carrier
HORNET series offer convenient mounting, user-friendly functions, heavy duty construction designed for carrying e-bikes. The large wheel support allow stable mounting of tires up to 4″ size. The locking clamp is the perfect solution to attach the bike frame. Simple design, strong and durable.
The HORNET 3 is a hybrid solution that can fit regular bikes or e-bikes; you can fit 2 e-bikes with a large space in between or 1 e-bike and 2 regular bikes or 3 regular bikes.
The best priced purpose built e-bike rack in NZ...by far!
The HORNET 3 is very strong, stable and easy to use rack to transport the heaviest e-bikes.
The wide wheel supports allow to mount most regular bike sizes and tire sizes.
Key features of the HORNET 3
Assembly: Even though it is not assembled, HORNET 3 is very easy to put together.
Fitting to the car: When you first place the HORNET 3 on the tow ball it supports itself – you can let go of it and it won’t fall to the ground. You’ll then take the weight again, spin the tightening knob until it’s tight, and lock it. BUZZRACK‘s carriers comply with the very exacting standard XPR-18-904-4 and therefore include an anti-sway tensioner; this has an integrated handle and 2 or 3 turns are usually sufficient.
Holding the bike: Simply position the bike on the wheel support. Adjust the clamp position by sliding it around the vertical tubular frame to find the perfect fit with the bike frame. Clamp the frame, attach the wheels using the ratchet straps, lock the clamps.
Lighting system: The HORNET 3 comes with a 7 pin lighting system.
Tilting: Tilting is easy, and is very well balanced even with a full load. The HORNET 3 sits quite high on the tow ball, and the tilt function is optimised to prevent the lights from hitting the road surface, while still using the weight of the bikes to help bring the bike platform back to the level again in a controlled way. But this geometry doesn’t allow for some tall vertical tailgates to be opened – e.g. VW Transporter T5 and T6.
Carrying bikes and e-bikes
- The wheel holders will accommodate all wheelbases (not tandem!), even small children’s bikes.
- The long rubber-padded wheel straps hold tyres up to 4” wide; pull on them to tighten, and use the quick release to loosen
- The lockable frame arms hold your bikes securely and can be attached to any part of the frame, or the seat post. They can be locked using the same key as the tow ball attachment system.
Other features and basic specifications
- The patented conical fitting fits to all ISO 50mm tow balls. (Does not fit to adaptable or 'Multi Ball' System).
- Anti Sway Plate included (value $29.99)
- The HORNET 3 sits high on the tow ball, well clear of speed bumps and other hazards.
- Dimensions: 127cm wide x 77cm deep (measured from the centre of the tow ball to the outside edge of the number plate holder).
- The build quality – tube bending, welding, rust proofing, painting, component quality, is exemplary.
- All parts are replaceable.
- A loading ramp is available separately.
Max number of bikes: 3
Max weight per bike: 30kg
Max load capacity: 60kg
Max tire size: 4″
Fits all ISO 50mm tow ball
Dimensions (width x depth x height): 127cm x 82cm x 89cm (26cm folded)
Integrated lighting board
Lighting board plug type: 7 pin
Bike carrier to tow ball lock
Bike carrier to bike lock
The maximum permitted load you can carry is also determined by the tow bar nose weight; you will need to check you don’t exceed this before using any tow ball mounted bike carrier.
Requires 65mm clearance from centre of tow ball to rear of vehicle.